Monday, October 24, 2011

Greetings Earthlings

Hello!

Well, I am in Nebraska now! I don't know who said Nebraska was a flat state full of corn fields... maybe it is when all you do is drive through it, but it is BEAUTIFUL here! There are a bunch of rolling hills with trees EVERYWHERE! I cannot wait for fall! It's pretty humid, but it hasn't been super hot yet.

We got here on Tuesday and we went to the Mission Office where we had to watch some safety driving thing for when we actually get to drive the cars (our trainers do). Then we had our interviews with President Kunz, who is SO great! Then we just got all the logistics figured out and rules and what not. Then we went to the mission home and had the lasagna and the best parmesan french bread in my LIFE! It was so stinking good. Sister Kunz is such a good cook. Especially when you have been eating cafeteria food for a whole month. Then our assistants did some training and we did some role play. Then we headed to one of the Senior Sisters house and slept there. Her name is Sister Taylor and she is the cutest sweetest person ever. Everyone says she makes you REALLY miss your grandma, which is super true. hahaa. The next day we went and got a tour at the Trail Center, went to the temple grounds, the cemetary and then to the bronze statues that Blair Buswell did. It was super cool. Then they through us all out with some missionaries that have been here longer and we went finding. It was so fun and so crazy!

I was really sad when we were done because I was so excited that the people we talked to wanted to talk to us and I just loved them so much and the area and the companion I was with, I was sad that I wasn't going to be able to follow up with them. Then we went back to the mission home and we had dinner with Elder and Sister Watson (the Trail Center Directors) and a stake President. Then we had a testimony meeting and then we got our first assignment. Everyone had to go to the front of the room and read it out loud. I was the very last person. I got assigned to the exact area I was in earlier that day!!! President knew I would be so excited and so he saved me for the end! It was funny because he was excited to see me excited. It's like Christmas day when you get your assignments hahaha. So I am serving in the Millard area and Sister Myers is my trainer. I will send some pics in snail mail, but I learned today that since we do our emails in the TC we can just put them on the comp and send them in our emails! Which will be so so so nice!

On Thursday, we started out at the transfer point, then we went to our area where we had the longest planning session of my life. Which will occur every week. woof. It will be a lot better when I actually know the people that we are talking about. Then we went around and talked with people and I met a family that they have been teaching. They are the cutest. It's a mom and her 2 little girls, one 6 and one 4. They are super cute and I love them! The mom is wanting to get baptized, but she is living with her boyfriend so we have to get that all cleared up beforehand. Anyways, after that was over, there was a HUGE HUGE lightning storm. It was crazy! I could not have lived here when I was little. There is not a thick enough blanket that I could have wrapped around my head. It was crazy driving home. There were trees that were completely fallen over and on the streets and in some areas (not where we were) there was hail the size of baseballs that dented a lot of the mission cars (we drive a 2011 toyota corolla btw. It's awesome). Then we got home and the power was out. So I got to unpack in the dark. That was a bundle of joy.

The next day was Friday and we were in the Trail Center and I was able to go with my companion for 2 tours and then after that I was on my own. It's an amazing place here! I totally love it. I'm so glad that I get to be in the Trail Center, because I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of tracting. And if I had to do that all day everyday I might go crazy. Although, it could happen, so I should probably bite my tongue. Anyway, on Friday night, we went back to that family and I set her for baptism on the 24th. When you have a baptismal date you get to call the President and he will sing you a song. He was really excited, and we are too. So hopefully everything works out and she can get married and baptized by the 24th. She said in the closing prayer to please help her to get married and baptized by the 24th, so I think that's a good sign.

On Saturday, we had trail center training. It was SOOOOO nice to finally get a little bit trained. It is going to be so much fun here. Plus they do that training every Saturday so it's super nice that we get to see all of the sisters once a week. I love it. Then we were on for the 3-9 shift. In Omaha they are going to do a mormon.org media blitz. They have been doing it in a lot of the big cities and have found it to be extremely successful. I heard it doubled baptisms in new york. Anyway, the 2 general authorities who are over that came to the trail center for a tour. They are also in charge of preach my gospel. Anyway, my companion gave them a tour and asked if I could come and help! So on my second shift I helped give a tour to 2 GA's! It was awesome. I was able to bear my testimony to them in our Memorial Room. Which Isaac and Taniel can tell you about. it's the best place here and it's so sacred. Anyway, that was one awesome experience.

I also gave a tour to Josh Krogue, this boy I had a crush on in the 7th grade, and his wife. It was so crazy when he walked in. It's been a lot of fun working here and I can't wait to learn more about the pioneers and why they did what they did. If you have any Pioneer stories of our ancestors, I would VERY much appreciate them. One of the Senior Elders here is a crazy Geneology man. He is helping me find some too. So that's good.

So now, we have an hour for emails, which is a lot less stressful!!! I like it a lot. Oh, just so you know, there is going to be a quilt show in the TC basement in September. If you go to wqquiltshow or something then you can find it. You can even submit one of your quilts! I think it would be AWESOME if you sent out your faith in every footstep quilt, Mom. People would loooooove it here. I would take really good care of it, and then ship it back to you. Just on option. Look it up and let me know.

It sounds like you all had a bunch of fun at Island Park!!! That's so great! I don't get why Dad was nervous about the canoe tipping? Oh well. Has school started yet? Is Jared all ready to leave yet? One more month!!! That's crazy. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them and I will answer you.

The Senior Couples who serve here are the best! I love them. We are all just one big family. We always tell each other we love each other and it's really cool.

I participated in my first Trail Center Run yesterday. Every transfer, they run a 5K. most of the sisters only run a mile though, because we get started later and we still want time to shower and stuff. It was fun though. Maybe by the end of the mish I'll be able to run the whole thing super fast with time to still get ready.

On my last day in the MTC The Sudweeks sent me some brownies!!! It was the best! All my friends from the floor came and we celebrated our last night there by eating those brownies. They were DELISH! Claudia also sent me a letter, that was really really nice. Yesterday, I got a letter from the Fowlers in your ward. I haven't ever met them, but they just thanked me for my farewell talk and for my testimony. It was so nice of them.

Well, I don't really know what else to write. A whole lot has been happening, and I'm busy all the time, and I can't remember half of it now. The TC has motion sensored lights, so when I am taking people on tours, the lights turn on as I walk. It's like an art gallery, so they are accent lights. It's really cool. haha. I don't know why I like that so much.

OH yeah!!! Thank you for the package!! It was so nice to get all that stuff... If you are wanting to send me another package (hint hint ;) ) Then I could use all of the cardigans that I have downstairs (except the short ones). In the TC we have to always wear a cardigan or a jacket. So that would be nice. Also, there was a change AGAIN in the dress code and I can have my pretty coats too. Mostly just that red black plaid one and the black and white plaid one. But I won't need those super soon. But I wouldn't hate getting them... and any other super cute clothes or skirts you want to throw in hahah. It's only been 5 weeks and I'm already sick of my clothes. That's a bad sign. We are headed to Plato's closet today to hopefully find something cute and cheap. I already feel like my sense of style is out the window. Suddenly all I want to wear are clothes from DI. That's bad.

Anyway, I love it here and I am so glad that I am finally here!! It's so beautiful and I am having a great time. I want you all to know how much I love you and miss you. I can't wait to hear what Casey and Laralee are having! That will be so fun! Don't have too much fun partying as you get ready to send Jared off, because I don't want to miss anything good ;) Just keep going with the camping/outdoorsy stuff and we should be OK. hahahaha. P.S. If you could make sure there is 150 in my checking account at all times, that would be nice. Just let me know if the funds start to get low.

I love this gospel. I love being a missionary. I love the people of Nebraska. I love my Savior. I had a realization the other day that the Pioneers knew and loved their Savior too. It wasn't just Joseph Smith and having the "restored gospel." Having the gospel meant they knew Jesus Christ and they were able to access the Atonement. That is so powerful. That's what got them through EVERYTHING that they went through. And none of us are walking across Iowa in the mud for 4 months, but we can use that exact same Atonement to help us get through our hard times. This gospel is true and it is perfect, because it was organized by a perfect Heavenly Father who loves every single one of us, PERFECTLY. I love it.

I love all of you and I miss you! Please write me back lots!!!

Love you,
Martha

No comments: