Monday, October 24, 2011

Well, Dwight Has a Big Personality and I Have a Big Personality


Well, it all my fault, I didn't see anyone reading this so I stopped the updates.  Appearantly I was wrong. This letter is from 8-23-2011
Hello!

Well, I am in Nebraska now! I don't know who said Nebraska was a flat state full of corn fields... maybe it is when all you do is drive through it, but it is BEAUTIFUL here! There are a bunch of rolling hills with trees EVERYWHERE! I cannot wait for fall! It's pretty humid, but it hasn't been super hot yet.

We got here on Tuesday and we went to the Mission Office where we had to watch some safety driving thing for when we actually get to drive the cars (our trainers do). Then we had our interviews with President Kunz, who is SO great! Then we just got all the logistics figured out and rules and what not. Then we went to the mission home and had the lasagna and the best parmesan french bread in my LIFE! It was so stinking good. Sister Kunz is such a good cook. Especially when you have been eating cafeteria food for a whole month. Then our assistants did some training and we did some role play. Then we headed to one of the Senior Sisters house and slept there. Her name is Sister Taylor and she is the cutest sweetest person ever. Everyone says she makes you REALLY miss your grandma, which is super true. hahaa. The next day we went and got a tour at the Trail Center, went to the temple grounds, the cemetary and then to the bronze statues that Blair Buswell did. It was super cool. Then they through us all out with some missionaries that have been here longer and we went finding. It was so fun and so crazy! I was really sad when we were done because I was so excited that the people we talked to wanted to talk to us and I just loved them so much and the area and the companion I was with, I was sad that I wasn't going to be able to follow up with them. Then we went back to the mission home and we had dinner with Elder and Sister Watson (the Trail Center Directors) and a stake President. Then we had a testimony meeting and then we got our first assignment. Everyone had to go to the front of the room and read it out loud. I was the very last person. I got assigned to the exact area I was in earlier that day!!! President knew I would be so excited and so he saved me for the end! It was funny because he was excited to see me excited. It's like Christmas day when you get your assignments hahaha. So I am serving in the Millard area and Sister Myers is my trainer. I will send some pics in snail mail, but I learned today that since we do our emails in the TC we can just put them on the comp and send them in our emails! Which will be so so so nice!

On Thursday, we started out at the transfer point, then we went to our area where we had the longest planning session of my life. Which will occur every week. woof. It will be a lot better when I actually know the people that we are talking about. Then we went around and talked with people and I met a family that they have been teaching. They are the cutest. It's a mom and her 2 little girls, one 6 and one 4. They are super cute and I love them! The mom is wanting to get baptized, but she is living with her boyfriend so we have to get that all cleared up beforehand. Anyways, after that was over, there was a HUGE HUGE lightning storm. It was crazy! I could not have lived here when I was little. There is not a thick enough blanket that I could have wrapped around my head. It was crazy driving home. There were trees that were completely fallen over and on the streets and in some areas (not where we were) there was hail the size of baseballs that dented a lot of the mission cars (we drive a 2011 toyota corolla btw. It's awesome). Then we got home and the power was out. So I got to unpack in the dark. That was a bundle of joy.

The next day was Friday and we were in the Trail Center and I was able to go with my companion for 2 tours and then after that I was on my own. It's an amazing place here! I totally love it. I'm so glad that I get to be in the Trail Center, because I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of tracting. And if I had to do that all day everyday I might go crazy. Although, it could happen, so I should probably bite my tongue. Anyway, on Friday night, we went back to that family and I set her for baptism on the 24th. When you have a baptismal date you get to call the President and he will sing you a song. He was really excited, and we are too. So hopefully everything works out and she can get married and baptized by the 24th. She said in the closing prayer to please help her to get married and baptized by the 24th, so I think that's a good sign.

On Saturday, we had trail center training. It was SOOOOO nice to finally get a little bit trained. It is going to be so much fun here. Plus they do that training every Saturday so it's super nice that we get to see all of the sisters once a week. I love it. Then we were on for the 3-9 shift. In Omaha they are going to do a mormon.org media blitz. They have been doing it in a lot of the big cities and have found it to be extremely successful. I heard it doubled baptisms in new york. Anyway, the 2 general authorities who are over that came to the trail center for a tour. They are also in charge of preach my gospel. Anyway, my companion gave them a tour and asked if I could come and help! So on my second shift I helped give a tour to 2 GA's! It was awesome. I was able to bear my testimony to them in our Memorial Room. Which Isaac and Taniel can tell you about. it's the best place here and it's so sacred. Anyway, that was one awesome experience.

I also gave a tour to Josh Krogue, this boy I had a crush on in the 7th grade, and his wife. It was so crazy when he walked in. It's been a lot of fun working here and I can't wait to learn more about the pioneers and why they did what they did. If you have any Pioneer stories of our ancestors, I would VERY much appreciate them. One of the Senior Elders here is a crazy Geneology man. He is helping me find some too. So that's good.

So now, we have an hour for emails, which is a lot less stressful!!! I like it a lot. Oh, just so you know, there is going to be a quilt show in the TC basement in September. If you go to wqquiltshow or something then you can find it. You can even submit one of your quilts! I think it would be AWESOME if you sent out your faith in every footstep quilt, Mom. People would loooooove it here. I would take really good care of it, and then ship it back to you. Just on option. Look it up and let me know.

It sounds like you all had a bunch of fun at Island Park!!! That's so great! I don't get why Dad was nervous about the canoe tipping? Oh well. Has school started yet? Is Jared all ready to leave yet? One more month!!! That's crazy. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them and I will answer you.

The Senior Couples who serve here are the best! I love them. We are all just one big family. We always tell each other we love each other and it's really cool.

I participated in my first Trail Center Run yesterday. Every transfer, they run a 5K. most of the sisters only run a mile though, because we get started later and we still want time to shower and stuff. It was fun though. Maybe by the end of the mish I'll be able to run the whole thing super fast with time to still get ready.

On my last day in the MTC The Sudweeks sent me some brownies!!! It was the best! All my friends from the floor came and we celebrated our last night there by eating those brownies. They were DELISH! Claudia also sent me a letter, that was really really nice. Yesterday, I got a letter from the Fowlers in your ward. I haven't ever met them, but they just thanked me for my farewell talk and for my testimony. It was so nice of them.

Well, I don't really know what else to write. A whole lot has been happening, and I'm busy all the time, and I can't remember half of it now. The TC has motion sensored lights, so when I am taking people on tours, the lights turn on as I walk. It's like an art gallery, so they are accent lights. It's really cool. haha. I don't know why I like that so much.

OH yeah!!! Thank you for the package!! It was so nice to get all that stuff... If you are wanting to send me another package (hint hint ;) ) Then I could use all of the cardigans that I have downstairs (except the short ones). In the TC we have to always wear a cardigan or a jacket. So that would be nice. Also, there was a change AGAIN in the dress code and I can have my pretty coats too. Mostly just that red black plaid one and the black and white plaid one. But I won't need those super soon. But I wouldn't hate getting them... and any other super cute clothes or skirts you want to throw in hahah. It's only been 5 weeks and I'm already sick of my clothes. That's a bad sign. We are headed to Plato's closet today to hopefully find something cute and cheap. I already feel like my sense of style is out the window. Suddenly all I want to wear are clothes from DI. That's bad.

Anyway, I love it here and I am so glad that I am finally here!! It's so beautiful and I am having a great time. I want you all to know how much I love you and miss you. I can't wait to hear what Casey and Laralee are having! That will be so fun! Don't have too much fun partying as you get ready to send Jared off, because I don't want to miss anything good ;) Just keep going with the camping/outdoorsy stuff and we should be OK. hahahaha. P.S. If you could make sure there is 150 in my checking account at all times, that would be nice. Just let me know if the funds start to get low.

I love this gospel. I love being a missionary. I love the people of Nebraska. I love my Savior. I had a realization the other day that the Pioneers knew and loved their Savior too. It wasn't just Joseph Smith and having the "restored gospel." Having the gospel meant they knew Jesus Christ and they were able to access the Atonement. That is so powerful. That's what got them through EVERYTHING that they went through. And none of us are walking across Iowa in the mud for 4 months, but we can use that exact same Atonement to help us get through our hard times. This gospel is true and it is perfect, because it was organized by a perfect Heavenly Father who loves every single one of us, PERFECTLY. I love it.

I love all of you and I miss you! Please write me back lots!!!

Love you,
Martha

Another letter from 9-6-2011
Hi Family,

First things first. Yes, I have a hernia. I appreciate all of your prayers and concern. But from the sound of your letters, it sounds like Sister Kunz didn't tell you that it's TINY. My belly button is just a little bit bigger than it normally was. I don't think it's super noticable. But for some reason, I play with my belly button a lot. hahahahah. This has been the most awkward thing to tell people. Because they ask me when it happened and if I think I've had it for a long time. and I have to be like "Oh no, I KNOW my belly button." Bahhh aha. It's super awkward. Anyway... I am going to find a surgeon covered by Beechstreet today and set up a consult with him. I'm not super worried about it. It doesn't hurt, it just feels a little bit sore sometimes and I can't lift, pull or do sit ups. So that's annoying. But the surgery/recovery shouldn't be too bad. On to bigger and better things...

First of all, Joe, Laurie's nephew, is in my area! His wife referred herself at the Trail Center! That was crazy when we made that connection. Anyway, we will be visiting them in the near future.

Have you all made mormon.org profiles? I want to see them. Send me your link :)

Mom or Laura if you are planning on sending out packages anytime soon then I would LOVE my Womens Chorus CDs. there are 2 sets, with 2 CDs each. They are by my DVDs in my room. Also, if Jake isn't using the Denise Austen yoga VHS, we would love it here. We work out in the TC sometimes. Especially now that its getting cold. He can keep the DVD, we can just use the VHS. Also, if Jake and Laralee could send me that tiny picture of me and Brooklyn and Hannah for the locket, that would be fun :)

So, Nebraska is super great. There are a TON of bugs. A bunch of the sisters have chigger bites. Chiggers are so gross. I have yet to have any bug bites. But they are like microscopic ticks that burrow in your skin and suck your blood. It grosses me out big time. I'm hoping to avoid them for as long as possible.

It's starting it get chilly here. They have a real fall. It's awesome! I'm so excited for it! Especially with all of the beautiful trees here. I saw my first corn field like last week. It was a lot of fun.

So things are going well with the people we are teaching. We had another one of those experiences where we were walking down some apartment stairs and we saw this family of four and asked them about their beliefs and then they invited us in right there to teach them! It was awesome! I love when that happens. Miracles! They are really great and were so open to learning and we left them a BOM and they are reading it and we will see them this Saturday. So that's really fun!

So, I was in the TC all day yesterday. It was crazy how many people came in. A lot of them weren't members. Apparently there is geocache here, and once you get here, it's like a puzzle thing you have to complete with clues, so that was fun, I got to help someone do that. Then I gave a tour to this baptist lady. She is VERY baptist. She had so many questions, and sort of wanted to Bible bash with me, but I just kept my cool (as much as I could). She asked me if I had ever read the Bible straight through, and I told her no. She then asked me to read it and I said I would if she would read the Book of Mormon :) She took one and promised to read it. and in the end I asked if she wanted to refer herself and talk to missionaries, and she said she only wanted to talk to me. So we exchanged addresses and I will be writing her. So we'll see how that goes. It was a good experience, but crazy at the same time.

My P-day next week will be on Monday. Just FBI.

Also, where is Reeve? Did he get his Visa?

Mom, yes I wanted Alma 26:16. Perf. When is Jared's farewell? I can't believe he is leaving so soon! That makes me so stinking excited!

So, one of the Senior Elders here is a family history CHAMP and he does a chart thing for us from the info he downloads off of family search. Then he finds the people that we are related to that are buried here. There are 7 Utleys that were buried here and one Grant. Anyway, the chart he printed off was HUGE. It went from where we have the Nauvoo temple facade all the way out the door. It's the longest one he has ever printed off. He said that there must be a lot of people doing family history in our fam. Hahaha, I was like "if you only knew!" It was crazy! I'm pretty sure that he will send you a copy of it, as well as a copy of all the peoples stories that we have here. So that will be fun.

So I had this apostrophe (epiphany) in the TC the other day. We always heard that every single thing that goes into a VC is inspired and has to go through the 12. Well, we have a handcart that you can pull across the carpet just for fun. Anyway, on one of the tours I had this 17 year old kid pull the cart and there is 400 lbs in it. His sister asked him if it was hard to pull, and he said something I will never forget. He said "the wheels make it easier." and right then it hit me why they have that handcart there. It is an invitation to repent!! Here's how I figure:

We all have 400 lbs to carry in life. It's hard, but we have to do it. However, the Atonement of Jesus Christ (wheels), makes it a lot easier. He helps us carry the 400 pounds and we don't have to feel the weight or the burden of trying to carry that everywhere.

However, in the handcart demonstration, we also put tiny rocks down in front of the wheels that make it WAY harder to pull the wagon. Those rocks are our sins, or bad attitudes that we are putting down ourselves that make it so we are not taking full advantage of the healing and carrying power of the atonement. So, as I was giving the tour, I told this new epiphany I had and I told them to remove any rocks that they are putting down. If they are feeling the burden of the 400 lbs to get rid of the rocks and allow the Savior to fully carry you. My mind was blown.

Anyway, I invite you all to do the same thing. The Atonement is real. It works. It's so full of love. When we fully access it, and repent of our sins and come unto Jesus Christ, he will carry our burdens. Remove whatever rocks you have put down and come unto Jesus. He is there waiting for you with open arms.

This gospel is AMAZING. I don't know if I ever fully realized just how blessed we are to have been raised in the gospel. To know at a very young age that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. That the Book of Mormon is the Word of God. And that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is God's true church once again restored to the earth!

Well, I love you all very much. And I miss you lots and lots. But I love hearing from you and I can't wait to get more letters from you , and Michelle's package :)

Love you!

Love,
Marf

9-12-12
Hello Family!

Well, to start off, I just have to tell you that I was so shocked to hear about Brian's Mom. I found out on Thursday night I think and I have just been praying that all of the Jones family can feel peace. That is really hard to go through, but as my mission president told me when he called, it's a great time to reflect and think of the blessing of life. Most importantly, the blessing of knowing what happens after we die. And that Mike and Marci are together FOREVER. What a great promise we each have. In the meantime, I would love it if that was the only call I had to get from my president :) As soon as the phone rings and you see that it's him calling, your stomach drops and it's no fun. So let's let that be the last of any calls my president has to make, deal? Deal.

So, I go in tomorrow to have a consult with the surgeon. I can't believe that I have to do this. I've never had to go to the doctor for anything, and when I do it's always like, "you're just paranoid, get over it." and now it's for real. And I'm seeing a surgeon. Crazy! However, my companion and I joke that maybe they'll just have to remove my belly button and then all of my companions from here on out can talk about how they had a companion without a belly button. Which makes for really cool stories. Hahaha, but like I said it is a TINY hernia. Not that noticeable, so I'm sure they will be able to save my belly button :)

Happy Birthday Jake!!! Tomorrow!!!!

The pictures that I sent were from our P-day last week. My companion took me to this place called Scheels. It's like Cabelas and they have a Ferris Wheel inside! (I don't know why I capitalized ferris wheel, ahhaha) It was awesome. The only funny thing was that Dad had finally explained in his letter that day why he always said "Don't take any wooden nickels" and then the token to get on the ferris wheel was a wooden nickel. Anyways, it was a lot of fun. We went with 2 other sisters and then walked around this mall thing and got ice cream. Also, there were the Kencraft candy canes at Scheels, as you can see in the picture. So that was crazy.

So, there are these bugs called Sacadas? or something like that. They are the weirdest bugs ever. I have only seen one a couple of times, but they are big. They make the weirdest noise. There is a constant siren sound outside when you are by trees that they live in. It's SO LOUD! It's crazy stuff!

So, for the last 4 weeks since I've been here, the members have been providing us dinner. We pass around a meal calendar and they sign up for a night to have us over for dinner. However on Thursday we learned that would be NO MORE. Because prime proselyting time is between 5-9. And we were having dinner from about 5:30-7 sooooo to maximize our time we have stopped eating dinner with members. It's pretty crazy! I'm excited about it though. Plus, they feed you 5 course meals with dessert every night, and so I feel so sick every night from stuffing my face. So I'm really looking forward to eating like a normal person again. Also, this Wednesday, they are making us schedule out 4 hours to de-junk and deep clean our apartments. I have never been happier hahaha. I love cleaning and I have been wanting time to do it in our apartment, but writing letters on P-day is so much more important. But NOW I can do it with my comp and roommates so that will be great! Also, they will be having monthly cleaning inspections. WOO HOOO. I'm probably the most excited about this out of anyone hahah

I still haven't received anyone's mormon.org profiles.... Also I sent that questionnaire thing to you of "how has____ blessed your life" or something like that. If you could send that, that would be great. ALSO, if you want to subscribe me to the Friend and the Ensign, that would be SO sweet! Just have it sent to the mission office and then I will get it. Please Please Please! They would be so helpful in our Effective Member Visits.

Well, we were in the trail center a lot this week and then doing mormon.org visits to prepare the members, so we didn't have a ton of time to teach investigators. But we got 3 new ones yesterday. They are the cutest family. A mom and Dad and 3 kids. One who is almost 9, 6, and 4. They are so great. They don't know anything about any religions, but they believe in God and they want to learn more. They really loved having us there yesterday and we taught them the restoration and how to pray. At the end of the lesson we asked if one of the parents would like to pray and they were too nervous, they said they would next time. Then Sister Myers asked if any of the kids would like to. The 9 year old's hand shot up and said he would pray if I would tell him what to say. It was the SWEETEST thing ever. This darling boy had said his very first prayer to his Father in Heaven and I got to witness it. Such a great experience. His Mom was just about in tears after he finished. They were so excited for us to come back and to come to church with us in 2 weeks (next week is Stake Conference). Anyway, I am excited for them and I am so grateful for that opportunity. Heavenly Father loves us. And He wants to hear from us every single day. He is so ready and willing to let us feel His love if we just pray sincerely to Him. It is a challenge for the new missionaries to spend 30 minutes a day praying during personal study. It's really cool. I feel like my prayers are becoming a lot more heart felt and I realize more that I am speaking to God rather than just spouting out the things I hope would happen. I recommend trying it.

The good news is, they have a Target here. ("that Heaven has a Target!" hahah, I just thought about that). My comp and I went and it was just great. Hey, if anyone comes in contact with a GPS that's like 40 bucks, I would like to buy it. I can send cash your way. But, I'm going crazy here without one. I definitely want one whenever I become the driver. I feel like I am lost almost all of the time and we would be able to save time and be on time if we had one haha.

Thanks for the package Michelle and everyone else who had those story things in it! Oh my gosh. That bear with it's stuffing coming out of the belly button was hilarious. I didn't get it at first. I was like, oh, a crappy bear that's falling apart. And then my companion was asking what I got and I showed her all of the stuff and as I was showing her I caught on that it was a JOKE! hahahah that was really funny. But that story game looks way fun! I was dying about the one with the 11 kids and only 7 of them having torsos, and then the one where a man was sentenced to 2 years for flinging dung covered fly swatters and Rosie the robot from the Jetsons. hahahahahha. So good.

So, one of the Elders from my district in the MTC would like my weekly emails forwarded to him, so if you could do that, his email is nathan.epstein@myldsmail.net. Tell him that he can email me, but I can't email him and we should be good to go. Thanks. He probably won't get half of the things that I say in here since they are all inside jokes, but still, it will be fun to hear from him.

Well, I can't think of anything too crazy that has gone on. I told you earlier that we drive a 2011 Toyota Camry, but we switch cars all the time. Mostly we drive a 2010 Chevy Malibu. I really like nice cars. I love that we get to drive them everywhere :) OH MY GOSH. I can't believe that Butch is not working right!!!!! Poor Melodie. Everything I sell her turns to crap as soon as I sell it to her. OH man. I hope they can get that figured out in time and it won't be too expensive!!

I still haven't heard when Jared's farewell is??? I would really like to get a copy of his talk. Also, I don't know where Reeve is now. Come on! I ask all these questions and nothing! ahhaha jk. I understand that it has been a crazy week. I'm glad everything went OK with Mom at the Dr... Sister Kunz said after I'm out of surgery she will spend the day taking care of me. That's reason enough to get surgery hahahah. She is so great and it will be like having a Mom again for a day!

Well family, I love you all SOOOO much! I almost tear up every time someone asks me why I came on a mission. I tell them that my family was so strong and so happy and so close, I wanted everyone to have a chance to have a family like ours. I know that we have our problems, just like every family does, but we have been and can be healed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. And we are blessed to know that.

Well, I can't think of anything more to say, so I hope you all have a wonderful week and I look forward to hearing from you soon! My P-day next week is on Tuesday. I'm almost done with my first transfer. CRAZY. Anyway, I love you all very much and I miss you!

Love,
Marf

No comments: