Monday, October 24, 2011

Bears, Beets, battlestar Gallectcia

Hi Family! 

Guess what's back in full effect?! That's right, my color coded closet. I sent you a picture so you could appreciate. I don't have as many clothes back as I did at home, but I love it. Also, it's not AS extreme since I don't have coordinating hangers. I just don't have the time/means to find them all. hahah. That other picture was taken like 5 seconds ago. Sorry my pictures are super lame :)

So this week has been great! We saw one of the "I"m a Mormon" billboards on our way back from District Lunch. It was freaking awesome! Also, we heard from all the ward members that there were 2 commercials back to back right before the Husker game started. Freaking sweet. The Cornhuskers are a big deal here. We usually try to plan not to even proselyte at that time because no one is outside and no one opens their doors. It's so funny. 

Jared, I can write so much because in the field you get an hour for emails. AAAAND I didn't have a GF to write to on my down time on P-days hahah. Also, I played Mavis Beacon as a kid, for fun! 

I still really wish that I could get Sarah's weekly emails forwarded to me. Also, I think I should have Reeve's address. Maybe I'll send him a letter or two. 

So, we got some new training in the Trail Center yesterday!!! We are going to start doing the Chats on mormon.org. We will have "online investigators." We can set up appointments with them and everything! It is SO awesome! Then, we have this online area book which is the most amazing thing ever. I wish that we could have it for more than just our chat investigators. You just print off a progress record!!!!! It's flipping awesome! Anyway, I'm really excited about that. We will be talking to people from all over the world. Taniel had a question about Call Center. It's in the basement of the Trail Center. We get incoming calls from people calling from mormon.org, or pass along cards or something like that. They are usually requesting a free DVD or something, but then we sweet talk them into having the missionaries come and deliver it. Also, with the referrals we receive at the TC, we then call those people and tell them their friend referred them and see if they want the missionaries to come and teach them. It's really fun. I love it. I can't wait to start doing the chat this week. 

So, on Thursday, my companion went with another missionary to the temple since someone they taught was going through the temple. So, I went on exchanges with the other sisters companion. Who has only been here like a week. So I had to not only be the Senior comp for a day, but I had to be a trainer! All while I am still getting trained! It was one of the most stressful things of my life. And it was a car fast so we had to walk EVERYWHERE and our area is huge. And it was pouring rain while we were walking like 2 miles. It made me appreciate Sister Myers a lot more. I don't ever want to be Senior Companion, let alone a trainer. It was so stressful and I was EXHAUSTED. However, I have to do the same thing all over again this Thursday when Sis Myers goes to the temple again. Yikes. Hopefully it goes better. 

Yesterday we had 4 investigators and one less active at church! It was so awesome!!! We've only had one investigator at church since I've been here, so to have 4 was pretty crazy. Did I tell you that someone we are teaching is SET for baptism. Well, actually 2, but we turned one over to the Singles Ward Elders. But the one that we have been teaching is about 60 years old and he is the nicest man ever. He is so sweet. He called and left a message the other day and said he saw one of the mormon.org commercials and that it reminded him of how happy he was since he has been meeting with us and that he was "soon to be a mormon." It was really cute. That will be exciting. 

I loooove the Senior couples here. I am so spoiled. I have like 6 sets of Grandparents. We went to Elder and Sister Watson's house last Friday night so they could give us some counsel and pray with us (I'll tell you the story when I get home. It was a crazy night). But they really take care of us and love us. It is so comforting to have them there and to have them be so willing to help us out. Sister Watson gave Sister Myers and I 10 Oreos each and she told us to eat them all at once and we would feel really good. Hhaha. She is so funny. 

It sounds like Michelle and Brian are having a good time in Florida! Tell people to visit mormon.org and maybe they will chat with me!!! That would be so cool!

It is SOOOO pretty here. All of the trees are yellow and orange and red. And it's just GORGEOUS!!! I love it here. Today we are going to go to the mall and to target and then to Jason's Deli. I need some winter clothes here soon, so I'm hoping to find something today. The weather has been perfect everyday, I love it (minus the HUGE rainstorm when we had to walk all day :) ). We go with our roommates. It's really nice having roommates to break up being with the same person 24/7. 

It sounds like things are going well with Jared and Tagalog. I like getting his letters. I love that he speaks Tagalog in his sleep. There was an Elder in our zone in the MTC who had a serious sleep walking problem. But he would always dream that he was teaching this black lady who didn't want to get baptized because she didnt' want to ruin her weave. Hahaha. But he would always get out of bed, shuffle around in the drawers to find pamphlets for her and then explain that she would only be in the water for a few seconds. It was so funny. His stories always made me laugh. 

I am more and more grateful everyday that I get to be at the Trail Center. Seriously, I feel so spoiled to be here. It is just so great. OOOH I just remembered something. So we always have a prayer meeting each morning we're in the TC. And the last one I was in, Elder Watson was there and he wanted all of us to go to the cemetery that day and to just reflect. So I did and I started thinking. Everyone always says that the Mormon Trail Center is the best historic site/visitors center. And it's because of the spirit that is felt here. Well, we know that when people bear their testimonies, we feel the spirit. And then I thought about how STRONG the pioneers testimonies had to have been if they can still be felt 160 years later, from EVERYONE who comes here. As a missionary, I want to have a powerful testimony that will help others feel the spirit. But I know that the pioneers did not receive that testimony without going through hardship. It is the sacrifices and the struggles that they had to endure that gave them that amazing testimony that can still be felt. Well, I can't expect to get a testimony like that if I am not willing to do things that are hard. It was cool to think about and it reminded me of the things I could be doing better to BE a better missionary. 

Mom, my comp and I listened to the talk you gave at Reeve's farewell. I remembered how amazing it was! I love the difference of I will GO, I will DO, I will BE. It's so great. Also, Jared your talk was really good. It's funny though because it must have just been recorded from the microphone because you couldn't hear people laughing at all of the jokes- it was the same in Mom's, Reeve's and James' so it just sounded like everyone was telling jokes and no one was laughing at them. Pretty funny. My comp and I were dying at the part where Jared said we were all getting the censored version of his talk. Too funny. Tell Brother Graham thank you for that, it was really neat to have. 

Well, I love you all and I am so grateful to have you as a family. You are wonderful examples to me and you support me and love me. Thank you very much! I love my Savior and I know that He loves all of us. How blessed we all are to have the knowledge of the restored gospel. Amazing. Have a wonderful week and I will write you all next Tuesday! I love you!!!

Love,
Marf

No comments: