Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Moroni 7:48


Hello Family! 

Good to hear from you! Sounds like the dedication was super great! I'm excited to go to that new temple! I bet the Connolly's are in 7th Heaven right now. That is so awesome! 

Well this week has been really great:

Wednesday: I had a cool experience helping some people out in the Family History library. First off, I don't know a whole lot about family history or how to help people who come in with all their binders to try and find them things, I can pretty much just show them on the computer their ancestors name and that's about as far as it goes. But, I remembered that I am a missionary, and the line between family history and missionary work needs to be dissolved (see PMG pg. 164-little blue box). So, I prayed to Heavenly Father and said "Heavenly Father, I am a missionary, and this is your work, please help me to help them." And then I started looking through different books about those who came by sea, and I looked in the index to see if the ship they came across on was in this book. The ship was called "Hope." I didn't see it in the index. So as I was about to close the book, I just flipped through the pages and the first page I opened to was the section on the ship "Hope." Pretty awesome. They were thrilled with it. Then, later I used my google skills and found for them a book at the Family History Library in SLC that would answer every question (they live in Layton-so this is actually possible for them get). But they were so excited. It was really cool to be able to go in there and help them. Especially to really see how what is said in Ether 12:27 of weaknesses becoming strengths if we humble ourselves before the Lord and ask Him. Pretty cool. 

Thursday: I went on exchanges with one of the newer sisters. It was such a great experience. She told me that she looks up to me a lot, and that she trusts me and so she opened up a lot about some things that she has been struggling with. She doesn't have the most supportive of families at home, especially her Dad. She talked about how the only person she wanted to make proud was her Dad, and she was never able to do it. Her Dad would constantly tell her that she wasn't good enough. This made me so sad to hear. I started to tear up because I thought about how GOOD my Dad was. About how he would always tell me I was beautiful or smart. He takes every opportunity to tell me that he loves me. He will let me sit next to him on the couch and play with his hands. He will give me hugs. He called me an elect lady after going on trek together. He always would tell me that I was making him proud. Let me tell you, this has made more profound an influence on my life than anything else. This kind of love from a Father shapes children to be who they are. It gives them confidence and helps them recognize their Divine worth. But most of all, it makes it even easier for them to recognize that they have a Father in Heaven who loves them. So, Dad, I thank you. Mom too, because you did the exact same thing. To all of you parents, I recommend that you seek every opportunity to show your love and to build up your children. It makes such a difference as I have seen serving this mission. 

Friday: Sister Arnold and I have really been working hard to get our songs recorded. We are working with this guy in the Stake who has a recording studio and he is going to do it all for free. He said it would normally cost $10,000 dollars. INSANE! But, it's awesome to see how members of the Church are so willing to help each other out. To bless each other with the talents that they have been given. WAY COOL.

Saturday: I took a neat tour with a family from Ohio. They are driving to Utah for a wedding and they had 5 kids all under the age of 9. They were so fun. We were in the memorial room and I was asking them what were some of the things they were doing because they were a Forever Family-ie pray, scripture study, FHE. Anyway, then I asked them how doing those things helped them. They said that they had driven through a HUGE storm the day before and that they had prayed to be safe during it, and then felt prompted to go under a bridge. Right as soon as they got under the bridge HUGE golf-ball sized hail came down, and they were protected. After the Mom had finished this story, I asked the kids how they felt as their Mom was telling the story. They said they felt happy and good, and I pointed out that it was the Spirit that was making them feel that way. It was such an awesome thing and they were such a good family. Man, I love the gospel!

Sunday: We had this incredible lesson in Gospel Principles from our Ward Mission Leader. He talked about Charity, which as we all know, is the pure love of Christ. But, what is the verb for pure- it is to purify- or to make pure. Think of a diamond that is pure and clear- well it definitely doesn't start out like that, but it has to go through a process to become pure. It goes through heat and pressure. So, through these trials that we have in our lives we are being purified, thus becoming more charitable! It was so cool to realize. I don't know if I'm explaining it good enough, but it was blowing my mind. It makes the scripture Moroni 7:48 seem more incredible when it says that we will "become purified even as He is pure." Very cool. 

Pictures:
1- The Watsons, Sister Coats, Sister Belka, Sister Atkin, Sister Brown, Me, Sister Arnold at Longhorn Steakhouse. The Watsons wanted to take us out for an appreciation lunch. It was super fun. I love all of them. 
2- Sister Arnold and I like 5 minutes ago. I am having the time of my life with Sister Arnold. She is one of my best friends. Missionary work is really great when you are with your best friend. She reminds me SO much of Sarah, and I want her to marry Jared. :)
Welp, Family, I love you. I hope that things are going well getting ready for the wedding and the holidays. I love this gospel and I love what it has done for our family. Keep being good. 

I love you!

Love,
Sister Proctor

P.S. I will be on for about 10 or 15 more minutes... can someone please send me a picture of a teacup pig--- really showing just how small they are?! that would be very needed and appreciated haha. Thanks!

No comments: