Monday, March 19, 2012

Alma 4:15

Hello my favorite family!

Thank you for letting me know about my ss card. That is a huge relief :) How did your Sunday night lesson go? I would love to hear a summary of what you all discussed each week (what kind of missionary would I be if I didn't follow up ;)  ).

This week has been great. We had transfers last Wed/Thursday and both Sister Davis and I stayed the same. I'm grateful, I really like having her as a companion. The Bellevue 2nd Ward also got Elders! It's crazy! But it's really fun. Luckily, they are good missionaries. It's weird though because right now we share a car. But it's fun to hear all the miracles/tell all the miracles to each other. One of them is named Elder Saunders from Whidbey Island! Apparently he was in the Lamb's ward and he knew Jordan. This is his first area. He's a great missionary. Small world!

This week in Tender mercies:
Tuesday: A beautiful P-day and we spent most of it outside. The picture is of me and Sis Davis in our backyard. She is GORGEOUS. It's so fun to be her companion. Not because she's gorgeous, but for other reasons too.

Wednesday: A great day at the TC, we welcomed in all the new missionaries. How fun. It's starting to smell like how it did when I got here since it's getting warmer and it's bringing back so many memories. I love it.

Thursday: We had a great weekly planning session, and it's just cool to see how much both Sister Davis and I have progressed. I am so grateful to be able to be changed and to become better.

Friday: I had a great talk with Elder Watson. He is such a great leader and I am so grateful to serve with him. Then, on chat, we had a miracle!!! First of all, to preface this, we have been doing a 40-day fast. It's where you give up certain things or do other things for 40 days to become a more consecrated missionary. We haven't been eating sugar unless we're at a members house, I drink one glass of milk a day, etc. Dumb things, but they make a huge difference. Well, one other thing was that I couldn't complain about chat anymore. It's amazing what happens when you just stop complaining about something. Granted, we still got a lot of dumb chats, but my attitude changed as I consciously made sure that I didn't say a bad thing about chat. Well, we had this chat on Friday with someone who was an atheist. She said that she liked how much Mormons valued families and had high standards and so she was asking us if she would still be accepted if she didn't believe in God. We of course told her that the reason we have such high standards and value families was because of our belief in God. She just said she didn't think she could ever believe it. So then we invited her to pray, but before she could pray,we told her all of the ways that we had felt God's love and the Spirit. We taught her how to pray. And then we told her to settle down and to focus her thoughts. And to just let herself feel of God's love and that we would wait until she got back on.

About 5 minutes later, she got back on and she said, "I feel loved. I feel blessed. I know that God knows I want Him to be proud of me. 20 minutes ago, I would not have thought this was possible." She then accepted the invitations to have the missionaries come and teach her. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! How awesome! I am just so grateful that Heavenly Father is so willing to let people feel of His love, if we just ask!!! I invite all of you to listen to the talk "You Matter to Him" from Elder Uchtdorf and then to pray and ask God to let you feel of His love and then to just pause. I think you will be amazed at how much He really does love you.

Saturday: We were out trying people all day long, but it was great! We met a lot of great people and had a good time. We met this crazy man named Ricky that I do not have the time to write down all of the crazy things that were said. But know that I had to bite my lips so that I wouldn't laugh out loud. He was crazy and so funny.

Sunday: We were in the TC in the morning and I took this family on tour. They were not members and it turns out that the Dad in the 60s had studied with missionaries and he said the only thing he didn't like was that women couldn't have the Priesthood. I did everything I could to explain to him why, and he wouldn't have it. So the last thing I could do was like what Alma does in Alma 4:19 and bear down in pure testimony to him. I told him about what it was like being surrounded by honorable and worthy Priesthood holders in my family. How I have never felt degraded or made to feel like I was less. I knew that every Priesthood holder esteemed womanhood and motherhood to be of one of the most noble calls and a divine role. How grateful I am to be a woman in this Church. I am grateful to always feel like I have such divine worth and potential. Thank you, all of your Priesthood holders, who have shown me that respect, who have served me with that Priesthood, and thank you for all of the wonderful women in my life who who me how great womanhood and motherhood can be.

So, my subject line is from something that I read this morning. What I loved about it is that no matter how discouraged Alma was, the Spirit of the Lord did not fail Him. That promise is true for us as well. No matter how hard life may seem or how much we wish other people would change and just do what is right, The Spirit of the Lord will never fail us. Beautiful.

Well, it is getting to be super hot here. I am so nervous about June/July. Yikes. Apparently that means there are going to be a lot more bugs. :( I'm in the same place Sis. Belka was in when we first got here. Within a few weeks her legs were COVERED in chigger bites. I hope that I don't get them. So gross.

So, we got a new vacuum this week. Our old one was from the 1970s probably. This new vacuum is amazing. I went crazy vacuuming our apartment and car. I felt a little bit closer to Dad as I was doing it ;) Sharing the same hobbies :) Dad, there is this attachment that is called the contour tool, it's on some bissell vacuum if you want to look it up. But it's genius, it's rubbery and it has these comb things on it so it's genius for reaching hard to reach spaces and stairs/rounded things. Unfortunately, as it states on the thing, it is not to be used on pets. haha. So funny.

This has been a great week. Tomorrow is my 8 month mark! Crazy! Which means that I only have 9 months left, since I'll most likely be coming home before Christmas. That is downright crazy. Oh FBI, I am getting surgery here. I am calling today to schedule the day. So, that will be fun. I'm excited to not have to worry about it anymore. It has been sort of hurting the last few weeks.

Well, it sound like you are all doing great and I'm glad about that. I hope you all have a wonderful week and I am excited to hear how the Sunday night lessons go and your prayers! I love you all so much. I am so grateful to be a missionary and to play a part in the Lord's work. Nothing is better. I love you and miss you all.
Love,
Sister Proctor


P.S. If you're sending Jared cookies, it's a lot cheaper to send them to Nebraska... :)
 

No comments: