Friday, July 17, 2009

An Awakening of Sorts...




This was me about 2 years ago, before I had realized that something in my life was missing. As you can see, I couldn't quite see where to go or what to do with my life. It was not hard, because I didn't realize that something was missing. I was living a life in ignorance. But then, a few months later, I did something that changed my entire life for good. What is it that could possibly effect my life so much? you may ask. Well, I'll tell you. I decided to overcome my pride and read the Harry Potter series.

I did it because my two best friends Kylar and Erin were completely in love with them, and they wanted me to experience the same love. I had such a hatred for it. I told everyone that I wasn't into those sort of fantasy books, and it just seemed all together weird. But one summer, I decided to humble myself to read the books. After all, it was the summer before I moved out to college, so what better time to have a summer of reading?

It started out simple. I read the first book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I read it over the weekend. Simple stuff. It was pretty good. So, I moved on to the next. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. This one had some more twists, also only took about 3 days to read. Then I read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This is where it started getting REALLY good. I would lock myself in the closet just so I could read. I would have read-a-thons with Laura and Jared so that I could read as much as possible. It had so many twists and surprises, I couldn't help but love it.

Next came Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Another great one. Unfortunately, While I was reading it, we got tickets to the advance showing of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. So, I had to learn the end of the Goblet of Fire before I could see the movie. So when I had finally finished the book, I already knew what was going to happen. I think I really would have enjoyed that being a surprise, but oh well. Also, while I was reading the Goblet of Fire, I went to the midnight release for the final book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I figured I had to go to at least one midnight release of the books in my life time. It was so much fun. I enjoyed every second of it, and I was so excited to finally get around to reading the very last one. Also, this was about the time that the rest of my family decided to jump on the Harry Potter train (also known as Hogwarts Express). It was so fun to watch all the movies with them, cast spells at each other, and constantly talk Harry Potter.

Since I had already seen the Order of the Phoenix, reading through it was a rather difficult task. As it is the longest book and probably the hardest to really get into, at least for me. I was tired of Harry complaining and I loathed Umbridge. But, eventually, I got through it. Then I started Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. This was a great book, very intriguing. Unfortunately, I had to stop mid-way because I started my Freshman year of college, and didn't have any time to read books that weren't for my classes. So, four months later during Christmas break, I was able to finish it. Then I had to start Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows before I went back to school. So, I dedicated most of my time to reading it. Such an AMAZING book. I sat in the family room reading, but then realized the serious amount of tears streaming down my face, and that if anyone saw me I would feel like an idiot. So, I locked myself in my room and continued reading. I was sobbing into my pillow. There was a point I even had to stop reading and catch my breath. I couldn't believe how amazing this book was, and how much I was into it. I finally finished the book and loved every second of every page of every book. It was fabulous.

Well, this past week, my Harry Potter experience has grown even more. I was able to go to the midnight release of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Not only did I just go to the midnight release, but I was dressed up as Hermione Granger. I had become one of them. I had become exactly what I used to think was the absolute weirdest one could possibly get. But I didn't care. I had the time of my life. I was surrounded by fellow Hogwarts lovers, I couldn't be happier.

Now, let's compare this picture, to the one at the beginning of the post. I look happier. My eyes aren't all cross-eyed. My hair color is better. My hair is pretty and curly. I have a sweet wand. I have a gryffindor sweater on. Clearly, I just look happier. And that my friends, is what Harry Potter has done for me.

2 comments:

Taniel said...

Welcome aboard Martha, so nice to have you along. I felt the same way to begin with, but Harry Potter will eventually win, it always does...and I am totally ok with that.

Anonymous said...

Oh it's been a long time coming, i just knew you would join us! You look a GREAT Hermione!! And I adored the 6th movie. mmmm hmmm, Harry Potter is the life.