Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Original Tres Leches



I spent this past weekend in Texas with some of my really good friends for our friends wedding. We had a lot of fun. After driving 20 dang hours, we arrived in Austin, Texas. We went and got dinner, watched a movie, walked around the Texas State Capitol Building, swam in the pool, then watched another movie and went to bed. The next day, we woke up and went to the wedding luncheon at this really yummy Mexican restaurant. I will tell you the rest about this restaurant later, but for now, we'll just finish up the Texas trip.

After the luncheon, we went to the San Antonio temple. Those of us who didn't go to the sealing just hung out in the waiting room and walked around the gorgeous temple grounds. After all the pictures and everything were done, we went to the outlet malls in Austin. They were HUUUGE! It was awesome. A shopper's dream come true. Oddly enough, I didn't buy anything. Probably because I was with two boys. Oh well, my wallet thanks them.

After we were done shopping, we headed to the reception in North Austin. It was a lot of fun, and there were a ton of delicious foods. Then we slept at my friend Mitchell's aunt's house. Then woke up, went to church and headed back home. It was a long time to be in a car, but we made it! Driving that long has definitely made me a firm believer in flying. Anyway, Texas was a blast and it was fun to spend so much time with my friends.

Now, as for the Mexican restaurant...

We started off with some delicious chips and salsa. Then we got our entree. I had a chicken breast half covered in a chipotle sauce, and the other half covered in a creamy cilantro sauce. It was delish. Then, we were all SOOO excited because for dessert we would be receiving tres leches. This restaurant, mind you, is FAMOUS for their tres leches. They claim to have the recipe for the original tres leches. I had never had it before, but I had heard nothing but good things, so I was super excited to try it. So, they brought it out, and we were all drooling over it because it looked so tasty. I get a big bite that had strawberries with it, knowing that that will be even better than just the cake. I put it in my mouth, looking forward to the explosion of delicious flavor about to occur. Once I put it in, I was really, really confused. This was DISGUSTING! Did I miss the tres leches boat? Was this one of those things that people acquire a taste for, or where you pretend to like it because it seems cultured? I don't know. All I know, is this cake is disgusting. I then start wondering if I am the only one who feels like this. I look up at the rest of the table, they all have confused looks on their face. We all start whispering to each other, asking if their cake tastes funny. Luckily, everyone felt the same way I did, so I didn't miss the tres leches boat. My favorite part was looking at one of the kids who was most excited about receiving the cake, and watching him take his first bite. He firmly put his fork to the table then looked up and asked if it was a joke. We were all laughing looking around at the entire wedding party with such disgusted and confused looks on their face. It made for a hilarious story, and we joked about it the rest of the day.

So what was wrong with the cake, you may ask? Well here is a recipe I found for tres leches:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
9 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
9 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Strawberries coated in 3 cups of sugar

.... Now the recipe they used was only a little bit different.
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
9 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
9 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Strawberries coated in 3 cups of SALT

Hahaha! It was so sick, but so funny. I am so glad that I got to be a part of that. I can't imagine making a mistake like that. I have no idea why they didn't taste it before they brought it out. Or why they didn't correctly label their salt and sugar containers. Needless to say, they didn't have to pay for the desserts and I'm guessing they got a BIG discount on the rest of the food. On a completely unrelated note, if any one is looking for a new and creative chef to make tres leches, I am sure you can find one in San Antonio, Texas.

1 comment:

Christensen family said...

Sick, the strawberries are really covered in salt. That is disgusting.